STEPS IN RESUBMITTING PORTFOLIO
After the completion of the Prior Learning Portfolio class, a student may wish to submit additional experiential learning for credit.
A fee of $150.00 will be charged for each new Life Learning Paper submitted.
A fee of $100.00 will be charged for each new Professional Schools and Training item submitted.
The following steps should be taken for an item to be evaluated.
- Remove Preface material located in front and back pocket of your portfolio notebook.
- Portfolio Completion Checklist
- Learning Style Inventory and results
- Personal Time Line
- Photocopy of PST Worksheet(s) for Professional Schools and Training already submitted and evaluated
- Autobiography draft and Feedback Form
- Final draft of autobiography
- Life Learning Paper proposal and Feedback Form
- Copy of Life Learning Paper(s) already submitted and evaluated
- Submit the entire portfolio. All previously evaluated materials must be in the portfolio. If the portfolio is incomplete, it will be returned unevaluated.
- Place the new material in the proper section of the portfolio. The new material is to follow the procedure used for the original portfolio. A petition for the new material must be included in the front cover pocket.
- Portfolio is sent to the Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) Vice President of Adult & Online Studies. If it is in proper order, it is dated and recorded. Portfolios are worked on in the order in which they are received. If the portfolio is not in proper order, the student will receive a sheet explaining what needs to be done.
- The Vice President evaluates Professional Schools and Training (PST-Section 3) for the purposes of awarding certified credit. This evaluation involves use of the ACE, Ponsi, CAEL directories and GBC policies.
- Life-Learning papers are checked by the Vice President Adult & Online Studies to see if the course selected, the statement of learning outcomes, and the learning essays are appropriate and eligible for college credit. Papers that describe only what the student has done or that discuss only principles will be returned to the student. In order to receive credit, the student should follow the Kolb Model carefully. In some cases, the student will be asked to expand the essay.
- Life-Learning papers are sent to faculty for evaluation. Life-learning papers that meet the basic standards are sent to the appropriate college departments for evaluation. The evaluators review the papers submitted and may grant the credit requested, grant partial credit with additional development and/or verification requested, or deny credit. In the latter two cases, the evaluator explains the additional work requested or the basis for denial. The evaluator may change the department and/or course title on the petition if he/she feels another department or course is more appropriate for the student’s learning.
- The Vice President records the credit with the SSC and notifies the student. If full credit is awarded, a copy of the petition page is sent to the student. The learning experiences that need additional work are returned to the student.
- Rewrites or additions. On the basis of credit needed, the student rewrites the returned papers or writes new petitions and essays. Rewrites and additions will be resubmitted to the Vice President of Adult and Online Studies to be processed as in steps 7, 8, and 9. Originals must be returned with rewrites.
- Update – When the evaluation is completed, an update is made of all credits gained from the portfolio. The student receives one copy and another is placed in the student’s file.